Heritage

The Bridge of Remembrance, Christchurch

The Bridge of Remembrance, Christchurch

The Bridge of Remembrance, Christchurch
[195-?]

A competition was held for the design of the bridge and a Wellington architectural firm, Prouse and Gummer, was selected as the winner from 24 entries. The construction contract was let to D. Scott and Son for £16,078 and work started on 23 Jan. 1923. The sculptural detail was created by Frederick Gurnsey, a local sculptor, and his assistant, Lawrence Berry. The bridge was opened on Armistice Day, 11 Nov. 1924 and was closed to vehicular traffic in 1962.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 16, IMG0072

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo