Heritage

The Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral, Barbadoes Street, Christchurch

The Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral, Barbadoes Street, Christchurch

The Roman Catholic Pro-Cathedral, Barbadoes Street, Christchurch
[1900]

The original portion of this church was designed by Benjamin Mountfort (1825-1898), the Provincial Architect, and opened in 1864. It was enlarged in the 1870s. In this photograph it is shown ready to vacate its site in favour of the planned new Cathedral. Three powerful traction engines were used. The dead weight of the partially stripped building was about 250 tons even with its slate roof removed, but it was easily hauled along specially constructed, well-greased wooden tramways. At the time it was the biggest job of its kind ever undertaken in New Zealand. After being given a new iron roof it was opened on its new site by Bishop Moran on 22 July 1900. After the new Cathedral opened, the old building became part of the nearby Roman Catholic school complex.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0022

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo