Heritage

A view east from the spire of Christchurch Cathedral.

A view east from the spire of Christchurch Cathedral.

A view east from the spire of Christchurch Cathedral.
[ca. 1885]

Dalgety's building is shown in the foreground. It was built in 1878 and demolished in 1898. This was an L-shaped wooden building, with each of the two wings having five windows on both the ground and first floors. To the right of this is an office building, W.H. Simms and Sons, next to Kaye and Carter, grain and produce merchants and shipping agents. On the far right is the rear entrance of The Union Insurance Office which fronted on to Hereford Street. The building in the centre of the photograph, with the semicircular design in its façade, is Tattersall's, which ran between Hereford and Cashel Streets. It housed the business of H. Matson & Co., 164 Cashel Street, auctioneers and stock and station agents. Wool sales were held here frequently.

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0057

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo