Heritage

Main's Halfway House, Weedons

Main's Halfway House, Weedons

Main's Halfway House, Weedons
[ca. 1865]

This accommodation house was the first stopping place from Christchurch for Cobb & Co's line of coaches. It was built on the Main South Road by James Main (1810-1873) about 1860 and was taken over by William Weeden in 1862. He was also the area's first postmaster. At this time the inn had thirteen rooms with stables for horses and yards for stock. (The location was named, with a change of spelling, after William Weeden, a pioneer hotelkeeper)

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0058

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo