Heritage

Clarendon Hotel, Oxford Terrace, Christchurch

Clarendon Hotel, Oxford Terrace, Christchurch

Clarendon Hotel, Oxford Terrace, Christchurch
[1902]

This two-storey wooden building was originally the home of William Guise Brittan (1809 or 10-1876). In the 1850s it was sold to Rowland Davis who altered the building and it became firstly 'Davis's' and then the Lyttelton Hotel. It became the Clarendon Hotel in 1870. It had two wings at right angles to each other with a small balcony running around the inside angle. By the 1880s it was in some disrepair and was condemned by the Licensing Committee in 1902 and replaced by a concrete building. The licensee from 1901 was Herbert W. Morton. See Early Christchurch hotels / compiled by Jim Watson

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 10, IMG0023

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo