Heritage

Opening of the Fendalton extension to the Christchurch electric tramway system

Opening of the Fendalton extension to the Christchurch electric tramway system

Opening of the Fendalton extension to the Christchurch electric tramway system
[17 Dec. 1912]

In 1912 the tramway was extended to the intersection of Clyde Road and Burnside Road (later Memorial Avenue). "For some time the residents of Fendalton have agitated for the extension of the tramway, and recently ratepayers sanctioned a loan of £7000 to carry out the work, besides making themselves responsible for interest and sinking fund in the event of the line not paying. December 17th saw the realization of their hopes, when the line was officially opened by the Chairman of the Christchurch Tramway Board, and a number of children were given a free ride over it. The offical party afterwards, at the invitation of Mr and Mrs R.O. Duncan, who have taken an active part in the agitation for the line, visited Coldstream Lodge, where afternoon tea was provided."

View catalogue record

File Reference CCL PhotoCD 17, IMG0005

Previous Photo ~ Next Photo