Heritage

Christchurch - a chronology

1861

May 20
Gold discovered in Gabriels Gully, Otago. As with other discoveries, the ensuing gold rush depleted the city of its more adventurous young men.
May 23
Fire destroys brewery and shops in Cashel Street.
May 25
"Christchurch Press" appears. The first editor was ex-Superintendent James FitzGerald, a bitter opponent of the proposed Lyttelton-Christchurch railway tunnel. He and supporters began the paper to air their views.
July 17
Work begins on the railway to Lyttelton. Preliminary work on the tunnel had begun in January 1860, but the original contractors had withdrawn in November.
October 17
Christchurch Club building opens. Designed by B. W. Mountfort and Isaac Luck, it was probably New Zealand’s first club.
December
Provincial Superintendent petitioned by 227 householders to proclaim a municipal district.
(no date)
New Zealand’s first rowing club formed. (It became the Canterbury Rowing Club in 1862.)
Canterbury (or "New") Music Hall opens. Built by the Musical Society, it was soon nicknamed "the Barn". The site was in Gloucester Street, opposite the present Theatre Royal.

Previous Year Next Year

Notes