- February 21
- Visit by Lord Kitchener.
- May 19
- Halleys Comet visible by telescope in night sky. Prophesies of doom and superstition abounded while the comet was visible.
- August 3
- Canterbury Croquet Association (New Zealand’s first) formed in City.
- August 22
- Ilam homestead (on the site of the present university staff club) destroyed by fire.
- September 12
- G.W. Skellerup founds Para Rubber Company, New Zealand’s first retail rubber goods business at 175 Manchester Street. Christchurch soon became the centre of the rubber industry in New Zealand.
- November 26
- The ill-fated second Scott expedition leaves Lyttelton on the "Terra Nova", bound for Antarctica. See 1988.
- (no date)
- Government roading incentive (10,000 per county) causes the dismemberment of Selwyn County from the Waimakariri to Rakaia Rivers, and the formation of 10 new counties - Waimairi, Paparua, Heathcote, Ellesmere, Malvern, Springs, Wairewa, Akaroa, Mt Herbert and Halswell.