Heritage

1906 International Exhibition

Art Gallery

Frederick John Barlow, who designed the Machinery Hall, also designed the Art Gallery, which was built by Moore Brothers at a cost of £4998. It was a brick building at the rear of the Main Building, specially constructed to give maximum fire protection. The walls were strengthened with buttresses and the ceiling was lined with asbestos slabs.

Open slideshow

Four towers supported the corners of the building that had 12 separate galleries. The two central galleries measured 65 x 40 feet (19 x 12 metres) and were 20 feet high (6 metres). Ten smaller galleries, five off each side through archways, measured 35 x 25 feet (10 x 7 metres) and were 17 feet high (5 metres). The galleries were lit by continuous rows of ceiling lights, 20 feet wide (6 metres). The Gallery was staffed by five security guards at all times who watched over the valuable art that was displayed there.

----------------

Related photos

British Art Section, Oil paintings
British Art Section, Oil paintings
British Art Section, Watercolours and miniatures
British Art Section, Watercolours and miniatures
British Art Section, Stained glass
British Art Section, Stained glass
Arts and crafts
Arts and crafts
Statuary at the N.Z. International Exhibition
Statuary at the N.Z. International Exhibition
The New Zealand Section in the Art Gallery
The New Zealand Section in the Art Gallery

Sources

Related links